When workflow runs I get invalid email address error.

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I setup a workflow and when it runs it cancels with the following error:

Invalid email address. Check your workflow and make sure all To, From and CC addresses are correct.

I am using my own email address.

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Hi Tsanger,

Sorry to hear that you are getting this error.  In the workflow, how are you setting the email address?  Manually, by typing it in? or are you setting the "To" field equal to a column in the list?  If you are using a field and it is a person field try setting it to return as email address.

Also, be sure to check the "From" and "CC" fields as well, if they are not valid email address you will get this error to.

Let me know if this helps!

Thanks,

Matt

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

OK I just found the problem. Sysadmin put in invalid addresses in the smtp setup he put donotreplay@domain.com.

Had him put in valid emails and it’s working now. Thanks a lot for replying. This will save me some headaches down the line.

Thanks again!

Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 4:30 PM
To: Tim Sanger
Subject: Re: When workflow runs I get invalid email address error. [SharePointStuff:359940]

Hi Tsanger,

Sorry to hear that you are getting this error. In the workflow, how are you setting the email address? Manually, by typing it in? or are you setting the "To" field equal to a column in the list? If you are using a field and it is a person field try setting it to return as email address.

Also, be sure to check the "From" and "CC" fields as well, if they are not valid email address you will get this error to.

Let me know if this helps!

Thanks,

Matt

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Awesome! I am glad it is working now.

Matt

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:16 AM
hii

even i m getting this message.
i tried using a multi select people picker field have used the email id as display type
and also a string field
but still i m getting the error message

Invalid email address. Check your workflow and make sure all To, From and CC addresses are correct

Please help!!!
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Hi MMugdha,

In the multi select people picker field are you entering people or sharepoint groups? If you are using sharepoint groups the groups have to have an email address. I am working on an update that will work with sharepoint groups even if they don't have email address.

Matt
Feb 12, 2013 at 5:43 AM
no i have not selected any groups, they were users
Feb 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Edited Feb 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM
To help trouble shoot this I would like to narrow down which field is giving us this error. Then we can take a look at the values that are being passed to that field. If you can:

Modify the current workflow you are getting this error on. Manually type in the To and from fields with your email and leave the CC field blank. Run the workflow and see if it works. If it does, then replace the To field with the item from the list and try it again. If that works, fo the same with the From field.

This will help us determine what field is getting an invalid email address. Different things could be happening in each field. For example, the other person who was getting this error, it was because the default From address set at the web application level was incorrect. This address is used when the from address is left blank.

Another issue could be If you are using a lookup on the one of the fields you need to make sure the return type on the field is set to email address (this is in the workflow, not on the list).